Your change of status from B-1/B-2 to F-1 was approved. Congratulations! For many international students in Irvine, this is the moment months of waiting finally pay off. Here are the first steps that protect your new F-1 status.
Check your I-797A and I-94
Your approval notice (Form I-797A) includes your new I-94 record at the bottom. Make sure it shows F-1 status and that your name and date of birth are correct. Keep it with your passport and I-20.
Tell your school right away
Bring a copy of the approval to your Designated School Official (DSO) at your English school in Irvine. Your DSO updates SEVIS and confirms your start date. If the approval came after your I-20 start date, your DSO can usually defer you to the next session with no new USCIS filing.
Study full time
F-1 language students must attend at least 18 hours of class per week. Strong attendance is part of keeping your status, not just your grades.
Be careful with travel and work
An approved change of status is not a visa. If you leave the U.S., you need an F-1 visa from a U.S. consulate to return as a student. F-1 students also cannot work off campus, so ask your DSO before you travel or accept a job.
At AELS Irvine, our small-group ESL classes focus on real conversation, and our office helps new F-1 students with I-20 updates and session planning. If you are looking for ESL classes in Irvine or adult English classes in Irvine CA, we would love to meet you.
General information only, not legal advice. Confirm your situation with your DSO and at uscis.gov.
📍 Learn more about our ESL programs at www.aels.edu or visit our AELS Irvine location on Google Maps to experience small-group English classes focused on conversation, confidence, and real-life communication. → AELS Irvine on Google Maps
👉 Read the full article here: Your F-1 Change of Status Was Approved: Next Steps for Irvine Students

Comments
Post a Comment